MFA Chapters‎ > ‎

Brainerd Chapter

Minutes & Information

Meeting Minutes - March 6, 2009

posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:52 AM by John O 'Reilly   [ updated Mar 20, 2009, 8:59 AM ]

The Brainerd Chapter of MFA held a meeting on March 6, 2009 at the Brainerd Public Library.  The meeting was called to order at 9:50 a.m. by Brainerd Chapter President, John Wallin.

 

Attendance was taken by Chapter Secretary, Dean Makey:  those present were John Wallin, Jim Ballenthin, Dean Makey, Anne Oldakowski, Mark Frisk, Chad Converse, Gary Carson (CLC), Mary Jane Reetz, Ken Quass, Brad Bodle, Gary Anderson, and Charles Pelzl.  Presenter, Bill Marchel, scheduled for the meeting was unable to attend.

 

Makey provided a financial report and copies of last meeting’s minutes (see handout).

 

Wallin asked if anyone present wanted to share their goals/values for the Chapter.

He handed out a summary of some comments he had received from members.  One goal identified was to improve educational efforts by getting families/kids involved with Chapter activities.

 

Wallin reviewed a presentation he had made to CLC’s Natural Resource Club on 2/24/09.  He provided sources of forestry information to the Club.  He asked them for ideas why they were students and club members.

 

Wallin mentioned Jim Chamberlin’s comments regarding Stewardship Grant requests.

 

    • Makey will submit a grant proposal for Brainerd Chapter meetings to Chamberlin for inclusion with MFA’s request.

 

Suggestions for Chapter activities were discussed:

 

It was decided to have a spring field day at the Bill Marchel property.  May 23, 2009 is the first choice for the event.  It will be advertised with a direct mailing to Brainerd Chapter members, CMSWOA members, local Tree Farm members, and local landowners with Stewardship Plans.

 

    • A committee of Wallin, Ballenthin, and Makey will meet with Marchel in March to work out the details of the field day.

 

It was suggested to have a day-long, activity field day geared towards families, to include stations and games.  Possible ideas included tree & shrub identification, wood identification, tree planting methods, timber stand demonstrations, forest foods, Stewardship Plans, mushroom growing, and property tax classifications and incentives.

 

    • It was suggested to pursue this idea for Fall, 2009.

 

Discussion was held on current forest property tax programs.  Reference was made to the recent publication on SFIA vs. 2c and can be found at www.MyMinnesotaWoods.

 

Ballenthin mentioned a “prescribed burn” being planned for multi-agency lands in Cass County near Leech Lake.  The burn is for reforestation purposes. 

Jim will let us know when it is happening.

 

Wallin mentioned he would like to get out any pertinent information to members by email.  Members should get John their email address.  Otherwise, notices and such will be mailed by Makey.

 

Discussion was held on programs to preserve forest corridors, such as Forest Legacy and the Camp Ripley programs.

 

Frisk mentioned the “Intergenerational Land Transfer”  workshop being held in Cloquet.  Members should have received a post card notice about this.

 

    • A motion was made by Reetz for Wallin to draft a letter to Extension Educator Diomy Zamora requesting a similar workshop to be held in the Brainerd area.  The motion was 2nd by Ballenthin and passed unanimously.

 

The next event will be the spring field day at the Marchel property.  A notice will be sent out to members.

 

The next Chapter meeting will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, June 19, 2009 at the Brainerd Public Library.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:15.

Minutes taken by Dean Makey.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:37 AM by Chad Dayton

The next meeting of the Brainerd Chapter of MFA will be held on Friday, January 30, 2009 at the Brainerd Public Library (large meeting room).  The Library is located in downtown Brainerd, just south of the Post Office.  A small lunch will be available for purchase at 11:30 a.m. with socializing during the lunch hour.

A short presentation will follow lunch.  Gary Carson, Natural Resources instructor at Central Lakes College, will tell us about the NR Program.  We will hear what the program focuses on and what the students learn.  The students have a Natural Resources Club where the students participate in many activities.  Students from the Club will tell us what their activities are and how they go about doing them.  Getting to know these students and where there interests lie may benefit both our organization and theirs by exploring ways to help each other with various activities.

A business meeting will follow the presentation and will include:

  • Review of meeting minutes – December 29, 2008
  • Discussion on Brainerd Chapter vision:  what do we want the Brainerd Chapter to be?
  • Mission:  what should we be doing now to work towards achieving the vision?
  • Work Plan:  specifically, how (who, when, what, where) are we going to achieve what we want to be doing now?
  • Other new business

Please plan to attend and be involved with your chapter!  You may reach Brainerd Chapter President, John Wallin at 218-562-4473.

RSVP!

So we may plan for the number of lunches to provide, please call Dean Makey at 218-833-8700, or e-mail at dean.makey@dnr.state.mn.us, to let him know by January 28 if you will be attending.  Thank you!

MFA Brainerd Chapter Meeting Minutes: Dec. 29, 2008

posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:34 AM by Chad Dayton   [ updated Jan 23, 2009, 11:10 AM ]

The Brainerd Chapter of MFA held a meeting on December 29, 2008 at the Brainerd Public Library.  The meeting was called to order at 12:05 p.m. by Chapter President, Jim Chamberlin.  Attendance was taken by Secretary, Dean Makey (see list).

  1. A presentation was given by student Lucas Wandrie and Dr. William Faber about a fisher study being conducted in Camp Ripley.  Lucas explained the study and Dr. Faber showed slides about capturing a fisher and how data is collected.

It was suggested that “thank you” notes be sent to the presentors.  Dean M. will do so.

  1. Jim Chamberlin reviewed the financial report prepared by Dean Makey (see attached).  There was discussion on how income is generated by the Chapter.  No operating income is received by the Chapter from the State MFA office. 

In recent years, Chapter income was generated mainly from MFA Stewardship Grant requests.  This fiscal year ’09, the Chapter has received a grant for $250 to help with Chapter meeting expenses, such as mailings, room rental, and speaker fees.

  1. Jim also reviewed recent Chapter activities (see attached list).  Jim noted there had not been any activities in 2008.

Dean mentioned the letter sent out in October 2008 to 63 current MFA members in Crow Wing, Cass, Morrison, and Todd Counties.  The letter asked members if they would like to have the Brainerd Chapter designated as their local MFA Chapter.  Thirteen members responded that they would (Dean M. has the list).

There was more discussion about this Chapter member designation, Chapter geographic area, Chapter By-Laws, and mission of the Brainerd Chapter.  During the discussion, the meeting attendees introduced themselves and told a bit about why they were involved with MFA.

  1. A MFA statewide update was given by Jim and MFA State President, John O’Reilly (in attendance):
    • The Five-Event Weekend will be held on January 9 & 10, 2009.  Jim will be leading the Chapter Meeting part of the program.
    • The projected MFA budget for 2009 was reviewed and discussed (see attached).
    • MFA’s Annual Meeting and Field Day will be held at Bob Sonnenberg’s property in May 2009.
  1. Jim asked for ideas about a Chapter field day in 2009.  Dean mentioned that no Stewardship Grant had been requested by the Chapter for FY09.  Dean said the Central Minnesota Small Woodlot Owners Association did secure a grant for a field day and was planning one for the spring.  Maybe the Brainerd Chapter could help them with this project.  Jim announced that they could.  Dean will help coordinate the cooperation.

  1. Jim presented a proposal to develop a scholarship fund by the Brainerd Chapter to help Natural Resource students at Central Lakes College.  The proposal included a draft resolution, which was reviewed.

Discussion on this topic included:  the scope of the scholarship program, both dollar amount and geographic area, and possibly contacting other groups (service clubs, conservation groups) to join in this program with Brainerd Chapter.

A motion was made by Ken Quass to accept the resolution as prepared.  The motion was seconded by John Wallin.  The motion passed unanimously.

  1. Other business
    • Mary Jane Reetz suggested that the next Chapter meeting be focused on developing a Chapter work plan for the coming year.  All agreed. 

    • It was suggested that the next meeting speaker be from the CLC – Natural Resource Club.  The presentation could address what the Club does to see how the Brainerd Chapter and the Club might cooperate on projects.  CLC instructor, Gary Carson could be contacted about this request.

    • Thomas Schulz suggested that MFA pursue funding from the recently passed legislation on sales tax receipts for natural resources.  Tom is concerned about private forest land being fragmented and developed, resulting in the loss of managed forest land.  There was much discussion on this topic.

A motion was made by Tom Schulz to seek statewide MFA support for a small acreage woodland conservation easement program similar to RIM or CREP.  The motion was seconded by John Wallin.  The motion passed with 1 abstention. 

  1. Election of Chapter Officers

Discussion was held concerning Chapter Officers.  The Chapter By-Laws state, “The officers of the chapter shall be (i) a President, (ii) a Vice President and Assistant Secretary/Treasurer, and (iii) a Secretary/Treasurer, who shall also constitute the Board of Directors (hereafter the ‘Board’).” 

“The newly elected officers shall shall assume their respective offices on the ensuing 1st day of January and serve for a term of two years and until their successors are duly elected.”

Nominations from the floor were taken as such:

John Wallin to serve two years as President,

Jim Ballenthin to serve two years as Vice President, and

Dean Makey to continue as Secretary/Treasurer for one year.

Nominations were moved to be closed and were unanimously accepted. 

The nominees were voted into office by unanimous vote.

  1. Next Chapter Meeting

The By-Laws state that Chapter meetings will be held quarterly.  After discussion, Fridays seemed to be a good day to meet.

The next meeting of the Brainerd Chapter will be on Friday, January 30, 2009 at 11:30 a.m. at the Brainerd Public Library.  Dean will send out a notice.

            Meeting adjourned at 2:30 p.m.

            Minutes submitted by Dean Makey.

1-3 of 3